The mesh in rigid panels is undoubtedly the model most used in the residential field to delimit the gardens. It is composed of rigid welded mesh panels (plasticized galvanized steel wire), placed between posts adapted to them. This fence exists in several widths depending on the model (2.00 and 2.50 meters). The plasticization method allows several standard colors (black, anthracite, green, white, anthracite gray) and a wide non-standard range according to the color chart (pay attention to minimum orders).
Advantages of the rigid panel fence:
- It is aesthetic
- It is more resistant over time, does not deform unlike flexible mesh or single twist mesh
- It better prevents intrusions
- It can receive a blackout without problem (canisse, breeze view, artificial hedge, …). There are even wooden or resin blades that slip between the wires of the mesh.
- While green welded wire mesh is the most common, anthracite gray is becoming more and more trendy. There are other colors from the simplest (white, black) to the most exotic (blue, pink, …). Be careful, prices and deadlines can fly away!
Disadvantages of the rigid panel fence:
- It is more expensive than the wire mesh
- If it remains fairly easy to install, either on a plate (for installation on an existing wall for example), or with posts cast in concrete, its installation is more complex than a simple roll fence: the posts must be installed at precise distances from each other, the cutting of the panels is less simple, etc …
The different types of welded panels:
Fences with ply panels:
The fold makes it possible to stiffen the panel while having moderate wire diameters (between 4 and 5 mm). This is excellent value for money. This type of panel allows the installation of wood or PVC blackout.
Fences with flat panels:
Panels with clean lines, which require larger wire diameters to provide good rigidity. They generally offer greater security than pleated panels. Their price is higher than the pleated panel.
Price of a rigid mesh fence:
For the rigid panel with folds, the first prices are around 24 $ per linear meter (for 1.4m high). Then, the prices go up according to the thickness of the wires, the colors, the quality of the posts and fixing, etc … Attention, we give you the price of the panels! Add the posts, fixing, etc …
For the flat panel, it is more expensive, around 40 $ / ml. The price also goes up according to the thickness of the wires, the posts, the color but also the shape. Count 70 $ / ml (complete fence kit) for this very nice rigid panel.
Where to buy welded panels?
It’s simple, we find these models of garden fences at low prices almost everywhere: in DIY superstores or on the internet without difficulty. However, for more choice and quality, there are specialized sites. Finally, if you do not want to install your fence yourself, you can call on a pro in your area.
How to install a panel fence?
The installation of a rigid fence is not always easy. In fact, it depends on the model and the manufacturer of the fence. There are different types of welded wire mesh laying:
- The “post – panel – post” installation : you install a post (sealed in concrete or on a plate – see video below). You place the rigid mesh panel by means of its specific fixing (notched post, with collar or metal fixing piece, …) then, you go to the second post, and so on. The posts need to be well sealed and adjusted as the installation progresses.
- Installation on the posts: other systems offer installation of all the posts, then the panels. It suffices to seal the posts, then, when the concrete is set, to lay the panels using fasteners on the facade. Make yourself a fitting template to always have the right spacing.
Another article on this blog that may interest you: